We have had several people interested in what the tower used to look like before the windows were protected from vandalism
Here are two images from summer 1906
A few things you may note from the photograph of the tower (some zooming in is required)
- The sundial arm is intact and in place, and the lettering ‘Long Live the King’ is clearly picked out in a contrasting dark colour
- The outline of the blocking arch and the roofline of the nave are clearly visible
- The upper west window clearly shows the trefoiled openings in the head
- The 14thC window in the blocking arch is undamaged, with two intact corbels
- Gravestones are largely intact
- The grounds are well maintained
- The Norman door opening has a wooden door – this is before it was almost completely vandalised and had to be rebuilt.
Also, from the photograph of the churchyard
- The beautiful Tudor brick wall and gates to the front of the churchyard are still in place – what a thing it would be to have these rebuilt.
- Look closely at the height of the rear wall, maybe 12 feet or more?
- In front of the rear wall, look at a large sarcophagus. This has been entirely smashed, only broken pieces now remain scattered in this location.
- Another above ground structure approaching the church tower, just visible above the wall to the right of the gate – a grave, or something else?
So much has been lost already – let’s hope we can try and recover what we can and keep what is left.